Monday, October 29, 2007

Old fashioned Story Time

I don't know how many know the name Garrison Keller, but when I was growing up my dad listened to his radio show every week. He told stories about a little fictional town and the people there.

Recently I read two books that really reminded me of Garrison Keeler and his stories. The books here Hometown Tales and Porch Talk by Philip Gulley. Gulley is a Quaker preacher in smalltown Indiana. He has a radio show on one of his local radio stations and posted stories in his church's newsletter. Someone asked him to publish those stories and the result has been 11 books.

The stories are short, simple, poignant, funny and thoughtful. The books are a quick read and very enjoyable.

I let my dad borrow the one book and he thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

No comments: