Friday, November 30, 2007

Blogger Friend School #10 Cookie Exchange


In the spirit of Christmas, the BFS assignment this week is all about Christmas cookies and traditions.

I don't know if this is my ultimate favorite cookie for the holidays, but it is one of the really good ones and it has lots of memories behind it.

Chocolate Peanut Cookies

Chocolate dough:
1c flour
3/4c sugar
1t salt
1/2c shortening
1 egg
2oz unsweetened chocolate melted
1t vanilla

Peanut butter dough:
2T flour
1/2c firm packed brown sugar
1/4c creamy peanut butter
2T softened butter

In large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the chocolate cookie dough.

In small bowl combine the ingredients for the peanut butter dough.

Spoon 1t of chocolate dough and 1/2t of peanut butter dough together. Drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Press with a fork dipped in flour.

Bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes. Let cool for a minute before removing from the cookie sheet.


As far as sharing a memory, tradition or story of Chirstmas past, it has a lot to do with the cookie recipe I just shared. The recipe is taken from a book titled Pillsbury's Bake Off Cookie Book (copyright 1967). I still have the very warn out copy of the book that my mom had when we were little girls. One habit she had that I have carried on is to write little notations in her cookbooks next to recipes as she tried them. The recipe I shared up above was first made by mom at Christmas time in 1977- when I would have been two years old. I can go through the book and find a lot of the recipes she used to make during my childhood.


A verse I have been thinking upon lately would be- Is 55:8-9

8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

On a side note, do you know that the verse just down from those (vs 12) is a really good song as well?

12 “For you will go out with joy
And be led forth with peace;
The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you,
And all the trees of the field will clap their hands.

I learned that song as a child and it was always one of my favorites.

4 comments:

Promise Christian Academy said...

There are too many cookies, so little room in my belly to eat them with! I would have a hard time choosing a favorite.. I tend to eat according to mood or time of month!
Hilda Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh, what great recipes! I've read so many by now that I just can't decide which ones to bake!! Perhaps I'll bake them all? LOL.
~Chrissy

Beckaboo said...

I am so glad that you kept your mom's book - what a wonderful tradition to pass on to your children!! And how special to have your mom's handwriting and opinions right there at your fingertips.
Blessings, Beckie :o)

Bobbi said...

HI!
That's neat that you have cookbook your mom gave you! My mom gave my sister and me a recipe box. I still have it...but she didn't give us any recipes. :(
Blessings!
Bobbi