Friday, July 13, 2007

Our Favorite Mac & Cheese

Different people seem to have different opinions about Mac & Cheese. Some people prefer homemade while a few actually like the boxed kind better. Then there are the few who don't like the stuff at all. Which one are you?
My Devorah loves any kind of mac and cheese. Charlotte will only eat my homemade. The whole family loves the homemade version. I thought I would share it here for anyone else who might enjoy it.

Macaroni and Cheese

2T butter
1T oil
3T onion
2 cloves garlic
2T flour
2c milk
3/8t pepper
1/2t salt (I find this not necessary due to the saltiness of the cheese)
3c American cheese
1# (4c) elbow macaroni

Cook macaroni as usual. As the water comes to a boil put butter and oil in a second pot. Saute onion, adding garlic after a few minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper, let cook a few minutes while stirring. Add milk and whisk while bringing to a boil. Let boil for a minute or two to thicken then remove from heat. Add cheese and stir till melted. When macaroni is cooked drain well. Add cheese sauce and stir. It can be baked for 30 minutes or so, but I never bother with that step.

Optional- sprinkle top with bread crumbs, add 1# cut up sausage, substitute some pepper jack cheese for part of the American cheese

1 comment:

Hilda Rebecca said...

Your blog is so nice. I am a new blogger and still learning. About the Mac and cheese, I love it but my husband doesn't. I think he will like this recipe, though so I am going to give it a try.
Thanks!
Hilda