Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Reading Books

My oldest is 2/3'rds of the way through with the book Anne of Green Gables. I think she will have read it through in a week's time. She is really enjoying it and when I told her that there were at least 6 or 7 more books in the series she was thrilled. She is following her mother in her choices of reading material. I not only read all of the Anne books, but also read every other book by L. M. Montgomery our local library had.
Then there is the library of classics we have. My mom said that they are abridged but they don't say that anywhere so I am not sure. It is a set of hardbacks and includes stuff like Moby Dick, Jane Eyre, Last of the Mohicans, etc. This very set of books was read by my mom, myself and now Charlotte has worked her way through a few of the stories.
I could still read any of the above books- Anne or the classics. I also really like Beverly Lewis' books on the Amish people or any sort of historical fiction.

2 comments:

Family W said...

Oh I LOVE Beverly Lewis!! As for the Anne books, I own the set but haven't read them yet. They're on my long list of 'books to read'. Also, someone told me once if a book is abridged it has to say so.....somewhere. Maybe on the copyright or title page. It's definitely been my experience if it doesn't say abridged then its not. So glad to hear your daughter is enjoying the classics!! Blessings ---Lynn

Promise Christian Academy said...

Do you happen to have the children's illustrated classics? I do believe they are abridges. I am making my daughter wait until she is twelve to read the Anne books. Not that she can't, but that she has so many others I want her to read first and Anne (with an 'e') was twelve when she came to live with the Cuthberts. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is another really fun classic, and the main character is almost as endearing as Anne. Did you know that Janette Oke has a series of her books slightly altered for girls? I read one and they are still full and rich books. I have collected a few for Amelia. Oh, I love to read historical fictions, they are my 'fun' books. Especially the history of Scotland. What are your favorites? I may have to journal about some of mine.
Hilda